Cutting Frames

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:32:54 -0600

>If it is just the struts why is it not necessary to overpull as much on
>pianos that have individually tied strings? (i.e. one hitch pin per wire)

No, it's not "just the struts". Struts don't compress all that much, but
they do bend. The span between the struts bends too, and that's what
accounts for most of that pitch drop. Though this is the first time I've
heard this one, individually tied strings don't have a thing to do with it.
It's the plate thickness, depth of "beam" on the tension plane, and span
between struts, and curvature of the hitch pin or aliquot line (and nose
bolts) that will determine flex and vertical deflection.

Ron N