Ideal leading pattern:

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:15:39 -0500

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, jolly roger <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>Hi Richard,
>                  Where is the inertia?  If we just look at down weight,
>things can get mis leading.
>Take two actions with the same DW.  But one has a high strike weight, the
>other a larger amount of key leading.  Guess which one will have the better
>UW, and better response.
>Just thought I'd put the cat among the pigeons.
>Roger

The UW for a given DW is a function of friction, right? A higher SW
will increase friction throughout the lever train as its extra weight
is applied to the bearing points. Extra Front Weight hasn't been
known to increase friction in the key and it certainly wouldn't
increase it further up in the action. Hmm.. Which of these actions
has the higher Strike Balance Ratio? If it's the one with the higher
SW, that will increase the friction already created by the SWs.

And better response?....Hmm. Would you define that as a higher UW.
Not every pianist would be comfortable equating high UW with
responsiveness. Or would you define it as FW, which is the best
practical expression of inertia. I'd go with that, and the piano with
the lower FW would respond more quickly to the pianist's attack.

Yea, let's toss some oranges in with those apples and see if anyone
notices that the applesauce tastes different.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Come on, a priest and a rabbi?! I think I've heard this one before"
     ...........the Punjabi/Irish barkeep in "Keeping the Faith"