Puzzler

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:02:43 -0700

List,

Easier puzzler for newer technicians...

Steinway L, 502XXX:  Customer complained that key was sticking and sure
enough the A2 key was hanging down a bit.  I pulled the action and
depressed the key and the hammer/shank stuck up at a 45 degree angle.  The
key had play at the balance rail and front rail.  I pulled the hammer/shank
off and the center was not tight.  Same with the wippen.  I removed
neighbor parts and they had no effect on the problem.  Clue (in hindsight
for me): when I pulled the stack I noticed all the bass keys had 6 leads.
What was the problem and no, the leads were not rubbing or causing
friction...

David I.