Crack fillers - old soundboards

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:28:37 -0500

Hi Joe,
          I'm with you on this one, If the board has reasonable crown, and
the bridge has not rolled.  That is my criterion for shimming.  I dry the
board down with the piano tarped, 2 X 50watt  heaters for 48 hrs.  Shims
are also dried down.
I use the Spurlock system.
I lightly wedge the board from the beams to the ribs. and use go bars to
apply clamping pressure on the shim.  My G bars are made from 450psi 1" dia
PVC gas piping, I have made feet for the bars  I'' X 1" X 2 1/2" blocks
with a 1 1/8''  X 1/2" deep hole bored into it to recieve the end of the pipe.
I use hide glue, and have not seen any failures.
For panel glue joints that have let go clean, I use epoxy.  Same drying
process, tape the crack from the top with PVC electrical tape. Leave for
about 5hrs. and trim with a sharp chisel.  Rib to panel integrity is
important in both cases, as is the inner rim and belly rail glue joint.  I
have seen more than a few pianos where the treble belly rail glue joint has
failed.
 The belly rail on a lot of pianos is quite thin in this area, and I will
make a big difference in both tone and sustain, if this joint has been part
of the problem.
If the board has no crown, then there is only one solution. A new board.
Roger