Heavy Playing S&S and tone

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Tue, 01 May 2001 02:47:47 -0000

I would be curious to hear others' opinion on this but I have not felt that
high strike weight, in the upper ranges of the piano especially, necessarily
produces better tone.  My experience tells me that above approximately note
50-52, a lower strike weight produces better sustain, a more singing tone,
and less throatiness (to use a completely qualitative description).  Whereas
the lower part of the piano seems to benefit from more mass, the upper part
does not.  Even so, IMHO (I believe that is the proper list qualifier), more
is not always better--imagine that!!!

David Love