Milk on Keys

Rodney Pritchett rodneycp@bellsouth.net
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:59:02 -0400

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM wrote:

> I have never heard about milk for cleaning anything, let alone piano
> keys. Is
> there something about milk derivatives that has cleaning agents? Will
> milk
> clean ivory as well?
>
> Yes, I had my milk today.

My father says that the old adage was: clean your ivory keys with
buttermilk.  I hadn't really thought too much about it, until one day I
tuned a piano that had the whitest ivory keys that I had seen.  I asked
the owner how she cleaned her keys, and she said, with a sheepish look
(no, I'm not going there . . .), "My mother always used milk, and I do
too."  So maybe there's something to that old adage.

As for milk working on plastic, I hadn't heard of that.

Rodney Pritchett
Marietta, GA