Strike weight and tone: Ideal curve

David Stanwood dstanwood@hotmail.com
Tue, 01 May 2001 13:32:50 -0000

Dear David,

Thank you so much for your discussion relative to strike weight zones..

The Strike Weight Zone delineators that I published in the Journal are for a
frame of reference only.  They show an average of what your likely to find
in any particular modern grand piano.  You may like a curve going from high
full zone tapering down to mid medium zone...
Steinway NY might prefer a mid medium zone in the bass tapering down to high
zone in the treble.  The zones are based on the measurements of many
thousands of strike weights taken by many techs over many years. It
represents an average of the modern piano. (Last hundred Years).

With my group of Precision Touch Design installers we've had many fine
examples of top/high zone strike weights OR ABOVE - as in out of the normal
zone... on Steinway D's that have a splendid tone.  We decided on these
levels on an individual basis using experimentation to determine the best
level.  Other times such high strike weights were not found to be ideal.

I support your opinion that high zone strike weights are better generally in
the bass.  I feel that a huge tone potential is lost when medium or even low
high zone strike weights are used in the bass.  Increasing bass hammer
weight has been found to create an enormous improvement to tone, like adding
feet to the piano.

For Treble it is more dependent on the hardness and resiliency of the hammer
and the condition of the piano.....

In all cases based on my collective experience with many many techs feeding
me quantitative and qualitative information, my personal recommendation is
not to use any strike weight below mid medium in any range…

My personal preference is for high zone strike weights in all cases
especially uprights..

Here is an interesting historical context from "Pianos and their Makers" by
Alfred Dolge:

"As far back as 1873 the Author made, in his factories in Dolgeville, NY,
for Steinway & Sons, hammer felt 1.75" thick in the bass and weighing 22
pounds to the sheet which measured 36" wide and 43" long.  This
extraordinary thick felt was used for concert grand piano hammers, and
although splendid results were achieved, the heavy hammer affected the touch
too much.  It is now generally agreed that felt weighing 17-18 pounds to a
sheet is sufficiently heavy for grand hammers, and 13-14 pounds is the usual
weight of felt used for upright hammers."

David C. Stanwood