Spring rail modification, uprights

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 1 May 2001 09:55:15 -0700

List,
    I just finished a project, (replacing plastic parts, ugh!:-(), and
thought you all would like to know of one modification, I do, to upright
actions. (I've been doing it for 28 years, now.)
    When doing global replacement of parts, it is easier to remove the
Spring Rail, to gain access to the screws holding the parts on the rails.
The screws, that hold the Hammer Spring Rail to the action brackets, are
always a bear to get out. And, likewise to get them back in! So, after the
off-set screwdriver, cussin', snorting, etc. of getting them out, I throw
them in the recycle bin and modify the brackets. (I suspect other techs do
this, but possibly some of the newbies don't know about this.) The first
thing I do is drill out the action bracket/spring rail holes with a #7 drill
bit. Then, I tap the bracket holes with 1/4"-20 threads. (This is best done,
with the action parallel to the bench, as it is a little messy and I don't
want the metal chips all over!) Next I drill out the spring rail holes, (the
screw holes that held the rail on originally), with a 1/4" bit. I should say
that caution is necessary here, as there is very little wood here and there
is a tendancy for the rail to split. If you clamp the rail edges in a vise,
first, this will lessen the possibility of splitting. Once that is done, I
use a #16 arch punch to remove the Spring Rail Felt around the holes, so
that the 1/4" x 20 x 1" RH bolts seat on the wood of the rail. When you are
ready to re-install the spring rail, it's so easy, because you just screw it
on from the back of the action.
    There has been a few times where the bolt head is in line with a damper
wire. If this occurs, just, slightly counter-sink that hole and use a flat
head bolt instead. (be careful not to tighten it too much, as this will also
split the rail!)
I hope this is a method you will use in good health. (why the manufacturers
didn't do this in the first place, is beyond me.)
    One final thing, there are usually cardboard punchings, (front rail),
that fell out when you removed the rail. Don't forget to put those back in.
(Keep them in order!)

Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.