Heavy Playing S&S C

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Tue, 01 May 2001 22:25:51 +0200

A quick update on this one.

> >Just started a basic action job on a Steinway C Hamburger :) Nice
> >piano but getting a bit uneven and noisy as time goes by.. about 20
> >years old. Folks have been complaining for a long time now about it
> >been "heavy" or "sluggish".......

Did most of the regulation and voicing on this today. After reshaping the
hammers and dealing with some basic friction issues down weight dropped on
average 4 grams and up weight about 2.. Strike weights are reduced about .5
grams... which should bring them pretty close to in line with what a 38 BW spec
5.5 ratio would demand. Just this much gave a noticble difference in touch
weight. But the uneveness remains... and is definatly a FW problem. Even tho
Strike weights seem to lie a bit flat in the lower treble section... the do get
gradually lighter... but C4 F4 and C5 get suddenly much lighter BW figures... a
quick look at FW's reveals why. So I will want to even those out in the next
few days.

As I was pretty close to around a 38 BW from the outset.. it would seem to me
that if I even out strikeweights to match the curve corresponding to the 5.5
ratio, lower and even out front weights to pretty much match the maximums David
gives, that I will have accomplished quite a bit in a small bite for this
piano.

Take note C1 for example.. I now have a SW of 12.6, DW 50 UW 28 BW 39 F 11

Plug that into the formula for Ratio useing maximum FW and my WBW of 9.5 I get

R = (38 + 40.8 - 9.5) / 12.6  which gives 5.5

Making this work throughout the action should put me just above the lower limit
for high zone strike weights, which should work well in this room.

Thoughts anyone ??

Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway