M&H console/damper spoon problem

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Wed, 2 May 2001 08:53:51 EDT

We recently got a used Model 50 Mason & Hamlin console in the store, and it
was my job to regulate and prep it for sale.  I found the action to play
quite heavily, and so I polished the capstans, sprayed the key pins with
teflon spray, used CLP on the action centers but found little or no
improvement.  Next I checked the dampers and found that they lifted almost
immediately when the key was depressed. (The impact of early lifting dampers
on touchweight is, BTW, something I learned about here on the list---thank
you!)

So, never having regulated damper spoons, I went to the technician in charge.
 He agreed with the diagnosis and attempted to regulate a damper spoon when
we found that this vertical piano had a sostenuto!  We removed the sostenuto
rod to gain better access to the spoons but unfortunately each damper lever
has a wire which extends downward denying us access to the spoon.  Further
complicating it is the fact that there is a sticker below the wippen.

He was stumped.  So I suggested soliciting help from the list.

Is there a way to regulate the damper spoons with the action out of the
piano?  (We tried this and failed miserably.) Any other suggestions?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tom S.
Chicago PTG Associate