Spurlock shimming method.

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 02 May 2001 22:32:57 -0700

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 5/01/2001 10:58:09 AM, Larry T. wrote:
>
> <<"I found that I could follow the crack with the angle aluminum even though
> the crack was not straight.">>
>
> This comment of Larry's leads me to make a few comments vis a vis Spurlock's
> shim system and shimming in general.
>
> First..if there is a better shimming system/method on the market I am not
> aware of it. However it does have its limitations .....though most of those
> are limitations of 'operator' imagination rather than limitations of the
> system. I know about this
> 'operator limiting factor' from personal experience! :-)
>
>  Can 'significant' crowning be acheived in the process of
> "shimming"?..........probably not...but 'significant' tension can be added to
> the crown in the process of shimming.

This makes good intuitive sense, Jim, and I notice that you make no
mention of drying the board, or does that go without saying? And while
we're at it, would it add even more tension to dry the shims as well?

And what about glue? Thinking about PR-J's statement about shims
cracking, would it make sense to use epoxy to glue in the shims?

Tom Cole