One Happy Family

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 3 May 2001 09:47:18 -0400

This may be a radical idea, but I like the PTG just the way it is. I =
think the RPT thing, like it is with the testing, etc. is great. =
Something to shoot for and a great educational experience. Might be nice =
to have something like that for rebuilders, etc. The PTG strikes me =
mostly though as one great big educational MEGA opportunity. A couple =
other professional organizations I have belonged to when in my previous =
career were a big ZERO compared to what the PTG has to offer. For =
someone in the beginning of their piano career, the opportunities are =
absolutely endless. And so often I see techs at classes at conventions =
with lots of experience obviously learning new things.

I'm largely a shy kind of guy who can be subject to an occasional lack =
of confidence. I used to go to Chamber of Commerce meetings and events =
(in previous career) and just kinda melt into a corner. I thought it was =
mostly a good old boy network with no opportunity for me. Well, to tell =
the truth, I still think that situation was/is like that. I think some =
of the folks that speak ill of the PTG might feel that way also. I =
sometimes feel the same way at a PTG convention. But I know it is just =
me. It is not PTG. There are just too many talented folks willing to =
share their skills and philosophies with others to think of the big =
picture as some group of uppity RPTs. PTG is great! It is so different =
from my other professional-organization experiences. The PTG is so open =
and working hard to spread so much fabulous information.

Every organization has personalities that are going to conflict. I think =
the big picture of PTG is a willingness to share expertise. This is rare =
and is fabulous. I wish some folks would worry less about the =
RPT/Associate thing and keep their eyes on the big picture. PTG is just =
a way for all of us to learn from one another. If one wishes to pursue =
the RPT thing - great - I think it is an excellent learning experience. =
And if an RPT capitalizes on the RPT experience and keeps learning, =
his/her income and social/professional status in their profession will =
be their reward. It will show. Let's keep our focus on inclusiveness, =
rather than exclusiveness though. It helps keep the mind healthy and the =
world a better place.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida