More responses needed

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 04 May 2001 08:13:43 -0400

At 08:59 PM 05/03/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Okay,  I don't argue that cracks affect the tone.
>
>If you want to use the speaker analogy.  The reason a speaker with slits
>will reduce the loudness is because of the air pressure bleed around  to the
>back from the front.  That's why speakers are put in a box to increase the
>distance the sound must travel from the front of the cone to the rear.  This
>becomes increasingly important at the lower frequencies.
>So, when the soundboard rises pushing air up, the air is attracted to the
>bottom of the board which is now creating a vacuum.  If there is a crack
>allowing the air to reach the bottom of the board the sound is canceled.  It
>now has a direct path rather than over the rim, down the  side and under the
>piano.<snip>Carl Meyer

Wasn't it Steinway that conducted an experiment by removing about 2"
of board from behind the bridge without any appreciable difference?

One of the best sounding pianos I've heard had a multitude of cracks
in the board, it looked like a venetian blind.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net