General information

Fri, 4 May 2001 08:34:16 -0700

Well, there's rather a lot that can be done to 'improve' the piano and =
bring it into the 20th century (no, that's not a misprint -- we can =
worry about the 21st century after we get the piano up to the last one). =
Just what did you have in mind?

What have you done and where are you going with this?

Regards,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder
Hoquiam, Washington  USA
E.mail:  pianobuilders@olynet.com
Web Site:  http://pianobuilders.olynet.com/

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Samy Missoum=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: April 18, 2001 1:28 PM
  Subject: General information

  Dear piano professionals,

  I am a researcher in Mechanics/ Mechanical Engineering and more =
precisely in what we call "Structural Optimization". Structural =
Optimization is for example to achieve the minimum weight of a structure =
(let's say a piano) still satisfying some stiffness requirements. There =
are some techniques and computer tools which allow to find those =
"optimal designs".

  Well, beside my research I am a passionate amateur pianist and I would =
love to apply my research to the design and improvement of  pianos.

  That's where you guys can come into picture and help me to define what =
can be "optimized" in a piano. I already have some ideas like minimizing =
the weight of the cast iron frame, improving the hammer mechanism etc... =
There might be some need in accurately modeling the structural behavior =
of the piano too.

  I am open to any idea or hint about what could possibly done on a =
piano to improve it.

  Thanks very much for your time.

  Sincerly,

  Samy Missoum

  Research Associate.
  Aerospace and Ocean Engineering Department.
  Virginia Polytechnic Institute.
  Blacksburg, Virginia, 24061. USA.
  Tel : (540) 231 - 2046
  Fax : (540) 231 - 9632