Bechstein Grotrian

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Fri, 04 May 2001 20:29:40 +0200

Ran into a curiousity today I thought I would share with you all. It
was a rebuilt Grotrian Steinweg 220 #68315 or close to that.. I have
my notes out in the car... Anyways supposedly from around the 30's
Noticed right away that the board had been shimmed... and it was by
no means a world class peice of woodworking. I am not all that great
at shimming...prefering epoxy for the job.. but I coulda matched
this work. Suprised me as this piano was rebuilt at the Bechstein
factory 3 years ago and sold to its present owner for 135 grand DM.
A nice chunk of money. Panel had not been given more then a very
very light brushing of shellack for a finish. But ok... plent of
crown everywhere according to my handy dandy g-string test
anyways... Ok string bearing...actually a bit on the high side for
an oldie... in places...

But what was curioius is that Bechstein decided to do the non
speaking lenghts Bechstein style. Gone were the brass half rounds
and the backscale was all muted off.. Very low angle up from the
aggraffees (painted gold by the way when the plate was
sprayed...also suprised me) and the capo bar over a really wide felt
/ wood cusion placed about 3 mm away from the agraffes and 5 mm or
so away from the capo.

Interesting sound created. You could hear a lot of the Grotian left
in it... but this was no Grotrian sound for sure. Non of  that after
whoooshhh.... cymbaleeze soundish... just a very clear solid sound.
I didnt like it at the very first.. but after tuning and playing a
bit... it actually sounded quite nice in deed. If anything it coulda
used a bit more sustain.

Half Grotrian and Half Bechstein... suprisingly sloppy
workmanship... new hammers were not put on all that well,,, had like
65 grams down weight and 35 up.. No tail shapping done.. lots left
undone from the old action.. Brand new paint job too... plast lak...
on an oldie... what a shame.

all in all an interesting piano.

--
Richard Brekne