String-Breaking K&C (Samick)

Tom J Armstrong pianostom@juno.com
Fri, 4 May 2001 18:31:39 -0700

I've seen this happen on a number of Korean-made grands, such as early
Schafer and Samick pianos, including some of the uprights.  In an effort
to get more sound, apparently the high tension bass scale did not allow
enough reserve to prevent breakage.  The problem pianos I have seen have
usually been in heavy use situations, where they were played very hard.
The answer is to restring with a more conventional bass scale, and
perhaps also include some voicing for the very hard hammers these pianos
used.

Tom Armstrong  RPT