Spurlock shimming method.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 05 May 2001 12:33:22 -0500

>With all this talk of shim, not shim, fix, not fix, benefits, no benefits
>etc...
>
>There is a compelling reason other than cosmetic to shim or repair cracks,
>and that is the potential for those cracks to start buzzing.

Could be. But for all I've heard and read about cracks buzzing, I'm about
to conclude that buzzing cracks are like baby pigeons. They must be out
there somewhere, even though you never actually see one. I don't once
recall finding a buzzing panel crack, though the condition may be rampant
somewhere else on the planet. For me, any buzz associated with a soundboard
crack has always been a loose glue joint. Considering the number of pianos
I've tuned with cracked boards, and the extraordinary prevalence of
concerns expressed about buzzing cracks, I must be either the luckiest guy
on the continent, or deaf as a post.

Ron N