Continuity - soundboard

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 5 May 2001 20:04:12 EDT

In a message dated 5/05/2001 6:18:20 PM, Jon P. wrote:

<<"Less than 1% is a negligible loss.  For all intents and purposes a shim is
cosmetic.">>
Chimpanzees are only separated from humans by 1% of their
chromosomes....isn't that a pretty significant difference? :-) Or are the
differences merely cosmetic?

<<"I heard of a test where a 2" strip of board was removed from behind the
bridge with no discernable loss.">>
And your point is? Perhaps we only need to make pianos with 10 or so ribs and
just forget the boards?

<<"Shimming ain't what it's cracked up to be,">>
I 'think' you are taking the thread out of context ...but you have a
constitutional right to be to be wrong. :-)

 back to the 1%........if filing minor string cuts from hammers increased the
tone quality by only 1%..would it be worth doing so? If leveling one string
increased the tone quality only 1% would it be worth doing so? If changing
the strike point only 1% improved the power would it be worth doing it?,
etc., etc.
But I'm jus an ole swamp rat what does I know?
Jim Bryant (FL)