SV: yellow ivories

Kjell Sverre Fardal ksfardal@online.no
Sun, 6 May 2001 02:29:16 +0200

Hi, Tom!

I keep my ivory in "a dark place", and I haven`t noticed any changes...

Here in Norway, the early spring is a great time to bleach ivory! In a sunny
day, I simply put the keys outside mye workshop, and the sun and the white
snow will do the job... I use what we call "Hydrogenpheroksyd" (35 %), and
paint it on the ivory, over and over again during the day (just one painting
woun`t help much...). As an alternative, you can use a lamp. After sanding
and polishing, it schould look quite nice (though it depends on the quality
of the ivory...)

Kjell Sverre

Kjell Sverre Fardal
ksfardal@online.no
Kristiansand / Norway, NPTF, Europiano

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]På vegne av
Tvak@AOL.COM
Sendt: 6. mai 2001 01:26
Til: pianotech@ptg.org
Emne: yellow ivories

I have read, or heard somewhere, that ivory key tops will yellow if kept in
dark place.  If this is true, where do you guys keep your spare ivories?  My
work area (I hesitate to call it a "shop") is in the basement with no
windows.  Should I worry about them yellowing even more than they already
are?

I tried bleaching one that was particularly yellow, and the bleach didn't
seem to have any effect.  (I painted the top with bleach and let it sit for
15 minutes or so.)  Is there a way to whiten ivory key tops which have
already yellowed?

Any advice?

Thanks,
Tom S.