Steinway Quality ?

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sun, 06 May 2001 22:36:52 +0200

Hi list.... started today boring out extra lead in this Steinway C I
have going. After working to reduce and even out Strikeweights on
this instrument, I started on weighing off the keys. Couldnt believe
what I ran into along the way. All through the middle section there
were these wild variations. In the worst case, two neighboring keys
had 14,6 grams difference. (B4 C4). Variance of 6 - 10 grams were
pretty common.

Ya gotta wonder how this fits with so called Steinway suberb
quality. Hard to understand that the origional weigh off  was so
uneven.  I mean you gotta figure that just about anyone can
understand that nearly 15 grams of wieght difference in neighboring
keys has gotta indicate a problem somewhere..... This piano has been
subject to complaints for about 20 years for uneveness of playing,
and in general being to heavy and sluggish. Never been fixed...

I will post my final figures on this tommorrow evening if I get
time. I ended up droping FW and SW as much as I could without going
so far as to have to undo anything when I get permission to move the
capstans. Evening out and reduction of BW from wildly varying and in
general high to an even 38 tapering to 36 is going to make a big
positive difference. Assuming that is...grin... that I have managed
to get this right... hehe..

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.