yellow ivories

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 6 May 2001 17:19:19 EDT

ramsey@extremezone.com (Kevin E. Ramsey).
 writes:

>     I just had an idea,,,,,,,,,,What about those tooth whitening-bleaching

They won't do anything for a human's stained teeth, why would they do
anything for an elephant's?

Seriously, though, I worked on this problem some 15 years ago with the help
of a Dentist who was curious about what could be done.  He was very frank in
telling me that those drug store teeth whitening kits "don't work" meaning
that if a person's teeth were discolored enough to want to effect a cosmetic
change, a far stronger, more potent (and potentially hazardous to the health)
chemical must be used.

It is normal, from the experience and information I gathered at the time, for
people's teeth to yellow in color over time, even with proper dental care.
Some people therefore will want to cosmetically whiten their teeth.  There
are, of course more severe cases of discoloration from various causes.

In dentistry, the Dentist first applies an acid wash to the teeth to allow
the H2O2 to penetrate.  He then applies the H2O2 and uses an ultraviolet
light beam as a "kicker" for the chemical.  I was interested at the time in
having whiter teeth.  In my case of only normal yellowing, the Dentist first
made a mold of my teeth, then, every other day for 2 weeks I applied a
Peroxide gel and kept the mold on my teeth for an hour.

The gel burned and my gums felt raw and sore afterwards.  He warned me not to
use it every day because of the possibility of gum damage.  I told him that I
couldn't have done it every day if I had wanted to, the chemical was so
strong.

It certainly did the trick: my teeth have remained extraordinarily and
dazzlingly white ever since.  For daily care, I use Mentadent Advanced
Whitening formula.  The toothpaste comes in a pump where the peroxide is kept
separate from the other solution.  Once combined in the mouth during
brushing, there is a mild chemical reaction taking place that has a very mild
whitening effect.  Starting with already whitened teeth, the drug store
toothpaste serves to keep them white but according to the Dentist, this
toothpaste or any of the products you can just buy would have very little or
no effect on badly discolored teeth.

You can now relate all of this to the ivory whitening task.  For ivories, the
first thing to do is analogous to the acid wash.  Cleaning or scraping will
remove, to a large degree, what looks undesirable.  If peroxide is to be
used, the cleaning and/or scraping must be done first so that it can
penetrate.  Then, significantly strong concentrations of peroxide must be
applied to have much of an effect.  I used the beauty parlor stuff and yes,
it does work but not as well as the higher concentrations did.  The
ultraviolet light also contributes greatly to the whitening effect.

Oddly enough, I have noticed that the plastic material called Pyralin
yellowed the way ivory does (or maybe even worse) but it also responds to the
same techniques of cleaning and whitening.  The more modern plastics don't
seem to yellow like ivory or Pyralin (or maybe there just hasn't been enough
time elapsed for them to start the yellowing and deterioration process).

One more note:  Until I saw recently the posts about using milk to clean
ivories, I had always thought that to be in the category of the "old wife's
tale".  I had always believed that the milk simply being a liquid, could
dissolve and help remove dust and dirt.  That in itself would make the keys
look better.  Now, however, it seems that some people have discovered
something else about what the milk may have done for the ivories.  Very
interesting.  I'd like to see some real science behind it.

Let me leave you with a summarizing thought.  I clean piano keys often.  When
I have brought this up in the past, there would immediately be a post from
someone who says to leave them dirty.  Now there are people obsessed with how
white they can get them.  Over the years, I have seen this kind of range of
opinion and emotion about nearly every aspect of Piano Service.  It always
seems to go from one extreme to the other.

While it may be a fascinating and satisfying experience to make this kind of
cosmetic change, please keep it within the context of what is best for the
piano, what the customer wants and how much the customer is willing to pay.
For the most part, simply wiping the keys clean with a very mild soap or
detergent is all I would ever recommend doing.  The whitening task is one for
the most extensive rebuilding or restoration project.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin