Bridge Pin Misalignment

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 08 May 2001 23:08:37 -0500

>One note in the treble has a
>nasty buzz. I believe I have narrowed down the possible causes to only one.
>The bridge pins are misaligned, such that the three strings of the note
>touch the bridge pins, but do not bend AT ALL as they pass the bridge pins,

Thar she blows!
You'll probably only have to move the back pin row, since the front row is
solid. You aren't going for awards on this one, so a mild string
misalignment from some quick meatball surgery shouldn't bring an awful lot
of self righteous indignation from the visual esthetes, while appeasing the
aural. Eyeballing the offset should be adequate under the circumstances.
You've probably got #7 pins, and something around #14 or #15 wire??? The
pin and wire diameter will supply a 10° offset if the front and rear pins
are centered in a straight line about 17.4mm apart. You won't be changing
the row spacing, just the pin offset, but that gives you something to fudge
against for a rough ranging shot. SOME stagger is all you need to get you
off the hook, so there's not much need to get too carried away. You can
probably freehand it well enough that it won't be particularly noticeable.

Ron N