Work over, just

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 09 May 2001 06:31:37 -0500

> Same piano, squeaky sustain, a mechanical click when you depress the pedal.
>
> Isolated the problem to the damper lift bar (in the action) you could really
> feel a jump as the click sounded.
>
> This is a new one for me, I know what the problem was, do you ?
>
> Regards
>
> Tony Caught

Hi Tony,
I've run into clicks just like in Yamahas that came from the pedal lever pin.
The pedal spring is stiff enough that as the pedal is depressed, the lever
fulcrum point shifts from the pivot bolt to the spring. As that happens,
pressure on the bolt bushings reverses direction and the bushings click. It's
hard to find the source of this click because it jars the whole piano when the
bushings shift. The easy test is to put your hand on the pedal lever with a
couple of fingers bridging between the brackets of the pivot. You can feel the
relative movement between the parts with the click. A lighter spring helps. I
don't think of anything likely to click like that in the action, but if you
find what it is, I'd sure like to know about it too.

Ron N