Dead bass strings

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed, 09 May 2001 07:36:35 +0000

Hi Norman,
     I had a smoke damaged Baldwin with the same problem.  In that case,
cleaning them with a loop of wire, twisting them, even taking them out
and whacking them around didn't do much.  It seems as much work as
replacing them, except for retuning the bass a couple of times.   New
strings aren't that expensive.  The insurance company would probably
rather replace them and be done with it, than have have the claim
reappear in a year or two if the strings corrode. Pulling old coil
stressed bass strings back to pitch always gives me the willies.
Wouldn't want one shooting into that new triple pane window behind the
piano.
-Mike