rotary revisited

Brian Trout trouts_place@hotmail.com
Wed, 09 May 2001 08:27:06 -0400

Hi Ron,

The stock I have is a year or two old, but I suspect it's rotary cut as
well.  (It's the Apsco multilaminate stuff, 13 layers in the 1 1/2" stuff.)

I've used it for other things as well as cut it (thicknessed it) to
different sizes enough to see it's not particularly stable stuff when recut.
  Last time I tried to rip a piece of it (like you would resawing it), the
two pieces I had afterward were so bowed it wasn't even funny.  I suspect
that true quartersawn pinblock material would be much more stable.

That being said, I haven't had bad experiences using the stuff for
pinblocks.  Actually, I've been quite happy with the results I've seen.
Easy drilling, fairly consistent torque, and so far, good durability.

Take care,

Brian Trout
Slidell, LA
trouts_place@hotmail.com