TP bushings: was pinblock hole alignment

Brian Trout trouts_place@hotmail.com
Wed, 09 May 2001 16:20:10 -0400

Hi David,

You wrote:
>I've always thought that when using tuning pin bushings it is
>best to drill through the bushing into the block so that the holes are
>aligned.  Thus, when using bushings it is necessary to drill the block
>either in the piano or at least while attached to the plate.

I've always drilled the block out of the piano, and unattached from the
plate, tuning pin bushings or not.  I never had much of any trouble getting
the holes to line up either.  I guess it's only necessary to have the
bushings as a guide if you need them for such.

I am curious, though.  If I've already fitted the pinblock to the plate and
I've attached it with all of the screws that hold it in place before I ever
mark for drilling, I can't see how it could move very far. It can't move
toward the flange, it's fit tight against it.  It can't move away from the
flange, the screws are making sure of that.  It's got very little play from
side to side, the screws and the fit are preventing that.  Evidently, I'm
missing something.??

No doubt it's rather fool proof drilling in the piano.  But I've never had a
problem drilling outside of the piano.  I would suppose the key is making
good marks and following them.

Best wishes,

Brian Trout
Slidell, LA