SV: no tunings, no drivel

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Thu, 10 May 2001 00:20:18 +0200

Kjell Sverre Fardal wrote:

> Could it be a movement in the plate`s middle-section? I just had a case like
> that last week: Old German upright (Rönisch 130 cm / 1913). After
> re-installing the plate (still without strings), I messured down-bearing,
> and it was ca. 5 mm minus in the middle / tenor section! With the new
> strings tuned up to 1/2 note below 440, down-bearing in the same section was
> almost OK. When it was tuned up the last bit, down-bearing increased...
>
> Then I consulted my collegues at the Scandinavian tech`s list (yes! Richard
> B. is the most active guy, there too!), and got confirmed what I thought: a
> movement (downwards) in the plate.

Grin... I think I mentioned the possibility of the panel being "cantered" by the
strings pushing down on the areas around the cave in... plate movement of this
degree from bringing up tension...?? hmm..

Did  you ever run a string along the underside of the board ? Downbearing and
String deflection at the bridge are not neccessarilly the same...??

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.