Old board/New question

Ken Jankura kenrpt@cvn.net
Thu, 10 May 2001 10:04:28 -0400

List,
   Last week I got called to evaluate and afix a price range to a 1950  S&S
S that will
be sold to a relative. I don't like appraisals and evals, don't do it very
often, and I avoid it whenever possible. But I consented. Foolish me.
I asked when the piano was last tuned, and the owner replied "It's been
tuned twice, but it will probably need it again sometime."  I should say so
:-)  So, in full
trepidation mode, I took Newton's eval list with me (Thanks Newton, it's
very systematic and works well) and got to work noticing and notating
things. When I got to the 'crown' part, I couldn't find any string in my
case to check it so I moved on. There were many long wide cracks, some
dime-worthy,  in the
soundboard, one running under most of the bridge, and with my simple rocker
gauge, I could detect absolutely no bearing  anywhere. Well, maybe a teeny
bit in the bass. Truthfully, no bearing, zero, zip. The piano was about 70
cents flat
(average) and I didn't think adding more tension would help the downbearing
situation
much. The unisons I tuned to check tone sounded lifeless, with
little sustain. The almost unplayed 1950 hammers looked great and the
action, with a little regulation, seemed very serviceable, meaning no
verdigris. As an afterthought, I went out to the van, got some string, and
checked the crown. Surprise, surprise. I think one would be happy to see
this much crown on a
new board! There was at least 1/8" in any of the long sections, and
discernible crown all the way up into the short rib treble. What the heck??
Did it have 3/8" before it died to this point 30 years ago?? I was
shocked to see any. I'm not real experienced in this. The crown did look
like it originated at the rim, meaning 6 or so inches in from the rim, crown
was 1/8" and stayed fairly even until 6 inches from the other end. Does this
make sense? I know the inner rim is angled, but would this explain this
amount of crown on this otherwise dead board?  Any comments?  The piano
needs everything accept a new action ;-) which significantly lowers its
value, but anybody want to throw out a dollar amount. I'm thinking about $6k
or so.
Thanks,
Ken Jankura RPT
Newburg, PA