pitch rise /was: no tunings, no drivel

D.Martens cybertuner@planet.nl
Fri, 11 May 2001 06:07:35 +0200

 Hi Don,
>I don't think I have ever seen a pianos pitch rise enough due to
>environmental changes for it to break strings. Has anyone else?

I always write down the pitch of every piano I have tuned, and leave a note
inside the piano. I also write down to what pitch the piano has risen or
dropped to by itself, as I found before the tuning.
Now, when the pitch is about 444 Hz or above (It depends on the type of
piano !), I will lower the pitch.
Here in Holland, the humidity in the air can be quite high.  (Hey ! we're
living below the sealevel here ! There's a lot of water in holland  !)
It is not uncommon for piano's , including the brand new ones, to rise or
drop ,up to 4 Hz. That can be enough to cause a string to break ( I'm
talking about the highest wound strings) , which occasionally happens in
spring and the begining of summer.
For tuners who donot always necessarily tune to 440 Hz, this is something to
take into consideration.

Duncan