Spurlock shimming method.

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 11 May 2001 06:45:30 +1000

Del wrote;

>My comment was not really a critisism of Samick. I fully understand the
>necessity of using a variety of woods in piano rim construction. My real
>objection to the phrase 'select hardwood' is with the double-speak used to
>make the selection of a light-weight, easily bendable wood -- chosen for
>legitimate manufacturing needs -- sound like something it is not.

Once a sales department gets hold of a spec. sheet they sometimes
manage to do remarkable things with sows ears.

>Even suitably dense timbers undergo compression set.

Agreed, but a proper choice of wood strength (density) and sectional
sizes with suitable bracing may well reduce compression set to
virtually zero in the belly rail, while on the other hand nothing
could prevent compression set in a sound board panel.

Regards,

Ron O
--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au