perfect pitch in animals

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Fri, 11 May 2001 12:52:29 -0400 (EDT)

Dogs are also very sensitive to harmonics that we can't even hear. I had
several confusing episodes where in the middle of the night my dog was
freaking out and trying to hide. After a while of putting him outside,
then in, then outside, etc, I finally discovered that he was reacting to
the faint beep that the smoke detector makes every few minutes when the
battery is low. It took me forever to track down which smoke detector was
making the noise, and over a period of several of these episodes, I
discovered smoke detectors in the house I didn't know existed!

Clearly the sound was very uncomfortable for him, even though I only heard
a small "beep".

Charles Neuman