perfect pitch in animals

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 11 May 2001 18:29:22 EDT

In a message dated 5/10/01 10:55:56 PM Central Daylight Time, Tvak@AOL.COM
writes:

> Anyone ever run across this phenomenon of an animal seemingly having the
> ability to recognize pitch?  (Or do you think this was this just a
> coincidence?)
>
> Tom S.
> Chicago PTG Associate

Dog do recognize pitch. When we come home in my car, our dogs runs tot he
door, expectantly. When any other car comes in the driveway, he sounds an
alarm. The dog recognizes the pitch of the engine.

There is a story I heard once about a man attached to an Army Air Crops
squadron during W.W.II who had a dog. The dog would know when his master's
plane came back from a mission, because he recognized the pitch of the
engine. When the plane never came back, because it was shot down, the dog sat
and waited for several days before finally giving up.

Willem