Ditch the tuning pin bushings

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 11 May 2001 20:56:40 -0700

Bill and List,
Many years ago, I rebuilt a Kimball, 6'?" Grand. It had tuning pin =
bushings, which were larger than standard and they were made out of =
laminated maple! I duplicated this when I redid the piano. It was a =
dream to tune. I might add, I used pin driving fluid, so that the =
threads of the t. pins would not "ream" the bushings. At the same time, =
another top quality rebuilder, friend of mine, did another Kimball with =
the same configuration. He opted to put standard plate bushings in. That =
piano was, and still is, a bear to tune! My conclusion, then and now, is =
that if the proper material is used for plate bushings, (NOT endgrain, =
non-descript wood), they will enhance the t.pin stability in it's axis =
and tuneability will be ensured.
One thing that should be noted, is that tuning pin bushings change the =
lines of force within the frame/plate/pinblock structure. If one is to =
draw a side view of a piano structure, (ie plate w/pin block, tuning pin =
and string, etc., then draw the lines of force and the pivots therein, =
one will find that, with a plate bushing the direct line of force is =
directly into the plate and not in the pin block. Without the plate =
bushing the direct line of force is directly into the pin block! It must =
be assumed that in this example, the tuning pin MUST be tight in the =
plate and around the tuning pin. Of course, the standard plate bushing =
does not meet this criteria.=20
Just some more food for thought. And yes, Del, I know you don't agree. =
Methinks too much brainwashing from your days at Baldwin. [grin] :-)
Regards,=20
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  ----- Original Message -----=20