Ditch the tuning pin bushings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 12 May 2001 07:38:03 -0500

>He opted to put standard plate bushings in. That piano was, and still is,
a bear to tune!

How did he get standard bushings to work in 1/2" plate holes.

>Of course, the standard plate bushing does not meet this criteria.

No, it doesn't, though it will keep the pin away from the plate for a long
time past when the bushingless plate is supporting the pins by direct
contact of iron to steel. If we could buy bushings dense, resilient, and
tough enough to serve as pinblock extensions to the top of the plate, we'd
have the functional equivalent of the open faced block the manufacturer
probably should have built in the first place. Even supplying no additional
torque resistance, I think the support is beneficial.

Ron N