Fw: Ditch the tuning pin bushings

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Sat, 12 May 2001 12:40:39 -0700

  Hi Bill

   Comments below and all your questions and thoughts have merit.

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 8:33 AM
Subject: Re: Ditch the tuning pin bushings

In a message dated 5/11/01 10:01:52 AM Central Daylight Time,    =20
Erwinpiano@email.msn.com (Erwinpiano) writes:=20

  My solution was to fully fit the block with a good plate fange contact =

  and eliminate the bushing.  The piano tunes like a dream(Bolduc =
block)yeah=20
  baby. Enough said?=20

Back in the late 1070's and early 1980's when I was interested in the=20
rebuilding end of the business, many people were putting plate bushings =
in=20
Steinways.  The word from Steinway at the time (and probably still is) =
was=20
exactly the same reasoning that you put forth here, Dale.=20

       Dittos to the stwy argument Bill

My only question about that is how far the tuning pin coil ended up =
being=20
from the top of the pinblock.

       This is an obvious concern but it's interesting that I still =
haven't found it to be much of an inhibitor to getting the ppiano to =
STAY in tune.  Also just tap them in till your happy with the height  =
and retune(Iv'e done this a few times)

  In some cases, it seems to me, the lack of a=20
plate bushing really creates a bad "flagpole" effect.  Couldn't a well =
fitted=20
pinblock *and* good, hard maple plate bushings make an even better=20
arrangement than simply one or the other?=20

  Yes but would it be overkill or just possibly a caddilac feature the =
does give a bit smoother drive.

What's your and any others opinion on that, please?=20

Bill Bremmer RPT=20
Madison, Wisconsin=20