FWD: Sharp organ

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 12 May 2001 21:31:34 -0600

Hi Ron,

You forgot the most important factor in pipe organ pitch. Barometric
pressure determines the number of molecules of air that go thru the pipe.
More molecules, higher pitch; fewer, lower.

I measured a pipe organ where I was going to perform on a Friday evening.
It was 20 cents flat. On Sunday it was 20 cents sharp.

At 12:47 PM 05/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>I just had an experience with a pipe
>>organ which was recently tuned.  The pitch was just
>>above A-443.
>Hi Greg,
>The situation here is that pipe organs are tremendously unstable
>instruments, with metal and wooden pipes responding at different rates, and
>in different directions to temperature and humidity swings.

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/

3004 Grant Rd.