A.B.Chase soundboard

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 14 May 2001 07:47:24 -0400

Hi Greg. I've read on this list a number of times that folks commonly tape
off along the shim edge and brush on a little stain to match the shim to the
old board. What I have found to be real nice is to cut my own shims. That
way I am not dimensionally restricted by available sizes, and I can pick out
whatever wood I want to make the shims with and use a piece that matches the
old board colorwise from the get go. That way, no staining, etc. (might help
for the next job!)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2001 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: A.B.Chase soundboard

Greg,
IMHO Bleaching not only will compromise the glue jointl, but will attack the
wood itself. It has been my policy, for years, to make it look as nice as
possible, but not to "hide" the repair. I had an instance with a 9' Knabe,
where someone had put a faux finish on both sides of the board, after they
had shimmed. I made the estimate to shim the board, based on the existing
cracks, etc. When the board was scraped, after the shims were inserted, it
revealed all of the many shims previously installed. If I could have seen
those previously installed shims, I would have most definately recommended a
new board to the client. However, since I was already hip deep and
committed, that did not happen. The end product was less than acceptable,
all because someone else covered the work. :-(
Regards,
Joe Garrett