Was/Sharp organ/Organ tuning

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Mon, 14 May 2001 08:35:14 -0400

No solution....more related questions.

I also have recently begun to tune for a church hall with
a $2000000 pipe organ. The piano is a new 7" Pramburger.

It costs them $2200 per tuning to tune the organ three times per
year,$6600.....
They bring the company in from out of town.
(Ha... but the committee is shopping for the best tuning price on the
piano,
even though the music director is insistent he wants me to have the
contract
and they need to use it for concert work.....volunteer committees!!)
Perhaps I should learn to tune that organ...I'll give them special price
hehe.

Serious Pipe Organ questions/obsevations.....

I question the tuning of the organ, It had been done the day before.
Are Organs purposely offset due to the differential in the size of the
pipes may cause different pipes to change with temperature at different
rates?

A440 Unisions between different sets of pipes do beat-- about 1 per
second.
Bass below F2 or so seem sharp to me.   Perhaps they use a machine.
Any comments of organ idiosyncrasies appreciated. I'm hoping that my
critical attitude of its tuning is due to my ignorance of pipe organs
and not
because standards for tuning these instruments are so low at even such
outrageous prices.

As a footnote, this beast goes down to "C0"?, a full major 6th below the

lowest A on the piano. I tried the foot pedals with the 64 foot stop and

that low C just sounds like a jackhammer in the room ta-ta-ta -ta-ta.
Anyone know its frequency?

                                       Cheers
                                        Dave Renaud
                                        RPT