Larudee's mystery - Was: Ditch the tuning pin bushings

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Mon, 14 May 2001 20:16:33 -0700

David,

You guessed correctly.  The pins I have are Diamond brand made by Klinke
to my specs.  The actual specs are1/0 or 2/0 (7.00mm. or 7.15mm.) from
the top to 4mm. below the becket and 3.5/0 (7.30mm.) the rest of the
way.

You're right that they have no bearing (no pun intended) on the question
of pin contact with the plate.  Rather, I was picking up on Del's
comment about never using oversize pins and the question of open vs.
closed blocks.  He's not the only one who refuses to use oversize pins,
and why not?

I can think of two good reasons.  Presumably we want tuning pins to be
as narrow in diameter as possible because a) the amount of leverage
(torque) exerted by the string tension increases with each increase in
diameter (radius) and b) the amount of string moved per unit of
rotational movement also increases accordingly.  Smaller caliber pins
are therefore easier for the technician to turn (and less easy for the
string tension to turn), and permit smaller, more precise string
movements, all other factors being equal.  The fact that they are less
easy for the string tension to turn also makes the tension more stable.
I don't think I'm saying anything new here, but if there are other
reasons not to use oversize pins (in principle, not in practice), I
would be interested to know.

On the other hand, there are also reasons not to use pins that are too
narrow.  Even if pins were made of a material stronger than they are, we
would not want them to be so narrow that they would slice through the
pin block or deform the holes.  We need enough surface area so that the
integrity of the block is not in jeopardy.  Another consideration is
flexion.  Narrower pins will flex more than wider ones.  I agree that
some flex is necessary, but generally speaking, I consider this
something to keep to a minimum.  I would rather maximize the ability to
change tension in the smallest possible increments through changes in
pin setting (rotational movement in the block) than to depend upon
flagpoling to modify pitch in small amounts.

On the other hand, flagpoling becomes more feasible when string geometry
is designed in conjuction with it.  When there is more friction at the
bearing points, flagpoling becomes more necessary to overcome it, and at
the same time the friction helps to prevent changes in tension that
might otherwise result from a pin that flexes too easily.  However, I
think that this is a second best approach, and the best is still to have
a design that permits finer pin setting and depends less upon
flagpoling.

One of the advantages of open face pin blocks is that they achieve
exactly that.  The force of the string tension is much closer to the
fulcrum, which makes flagpoling less of a factor.  This permits the use
of narrower pins, which is presumably why 1/0 pins are standard in this
design.  On the other hand, 2/0 pins are pretty much standard in closed
blocks, where 1/0 would generally be too flexible.  Unfortunately, this
distances us from the advantages of narrower pins.

Obviously, oversize pins remove us even farther.  That is why I designed
my pins.  They are oversize where they need to be, but the same size as
standard pins at the coils, and therefore with the same torque
characteristics as standard pins.  It is even possible to reduce from a
size 2/0 to a 1/0 without putting in a new pin block.

Although my pins are designed for repinning, whether as single pins,
sets of bass strings or an entire piano, the same principle can be
applied to new instruments, allowing the size at the string coils to be
divorced from the size that goes into the block.  This gives more
options with regard to torque, flexibility, contact area in the block,
etc.

Oh, yes.  They cost about 30% more than regular Diamond pins.

Paul Larudee