Special tuning pins

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Mon, 14 May 2001 23:07:03 -0700

Joe,

Part of the reason for the pin is to offer another option than replacing
the pin
block in order to avoid using oversize pins.  With regard to its
application to
new pianos, I have to say that I am not a fan of tuning pin bushings.
Bushings
may mitigate the flagpoling of standard pins, but unreliably so.  The
degree to
which the bushing helps depends on how much it has been crushed, how
well it
meets the pin hole, how many tunings have progressively crushed it,
etc., and
can vary from pin to pin.  Personally, I doubt that they accomplish very
much,
especially after they have been crushed over time.  I would rather
create more
stiffness in the pin and do without the bushings.  The result will be
more
uniform and longer lasting.

I would like to see nothing larger than 1/0 diameter at the coils and
enough
thickness the rest of the way to ensure optimum tuning characteristics.
This
can vary according to piano design.  In Steinways perhaps 2.5/0 (7.20mm.
or
.284") might give the right degree of rigidity.  In open face pin blocks
the
only reason to use my pin design might be to have more surface contact
area in
the block.  The enlarged section of the pin does not project far enough
above
the block to affect flagpoling.  In closed blocks, on the other hand, it
can
make a considerable difference.

Paul Larudee