marking the block

Renate Dirkd dirks@pegasus.rutgers.edu
Tue, 15 May 2001 21:18:00 -0400

Dear listers,

I've been away or would have replied sooner.
Thanks to all who responded to my question about marking the pinblock
for dead center drilling results. I've have used a punch for years and
am staying with that after some experimenting. I tried center punching
and than drilling small diam. shallow pilot holes hoping the bit would
follow; didn't work well. What did help was to outline the plate on the
block in pencil. Although the punch doesn't always jive with the pencil
circle, I suppose because the casting is not consistant to that degree,
the circle gives a belt and suspenders reassurance that I'm in the
center. I drilled a block today and it turned out perfect. Thanks again.
(Hi Newton)

Bob Dowling nj