Back against the wall fix.

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 15 May 2001 20:29:33 -0500

This may help some one.

Out in the country, A Samick grand with the damper pedal flopping all over
the place. No problem the bushing felt has worn through  on the axle.  Very
common problem with these pianos.  Disassemble the pedal box, get the
pedals off, and go to the car to get bushing cloth.  Wow!!!!!  a clean
trunk, empty,  Darn my wife has been helpful and thoughtful.
Ah!  I saw a hardware store on the edge of town, maybe I can get lucky and
find some leather.   No luck.  Looking on the shelves I found some denim
patch material.   Neccessity becomes the mother of invention. So I took it.
Cut two thicknesses to the right size, melted parafine wax into the axle
contact area of the cloth, and reassembled.  It worked like a charm. Nice
solid clean pedal operation.   I will bet it will outlast the kind of felt
that was there previously.

I wonder if in a few years, or twenty years, if another tech will muse?
What idiot did this.  <G>

Roger