3M sandpaper

Wed, 16 May 2001 18:19:27 -0400

HI Terry -

Any place where one grit's scratch pattern did not get completely
replaced by the succeeding grit's pattern, will show up as a slightly
hazy spot in your rubbed out topcoat.  In other words, when you finished
with the 800, there may have some 400 scratches that didn't get replaced
by the finer 600 grit, and the 800 didn't completely remove them either.
That would be my best guess, although there are other possibilities, of
course.

I use a similar method of 400, then 600, but I only go to 800 if it as a
filled pore satin finish.  Otherwise, I go from 600 to the gray
scotchbrite, and usually finish up with 4/0 wool.  I use both the
scotchbrite and the wool with some rubbing lubricant (wool lube, wool
wax, Murphy's Oil Soap, etc).  I think it helps produce a more even
sheen, and a slightly higher one than using them dry.  Finishing with the
gray pad is certainly fine, but will be slightly flatter in appearance
than moving up to 4/0 wool.

As far as fixing your milky spot, you will have to go back to the grit
required to bring that section back up, then to the successively finer
grits and to the gray pad to match the sheen that you have established in
the surrounding area.

I am more and more finding myself using the Abralon pads in the rub-out
phase.  They are circular pads meant for a random orbit sander, and in
fact I do sometimes use them that way, esp. to level the big lid.  They
come in grits of 500, 1000, 2000, and 4000  (pretty sure).  I have mostly
been using them by hand on a flat chunk of wood as a final pass to
produce an extremely even scratch pattern.  They are pretty amazing in
that you just rinse them out and use them over and over again.  I have
literally rubbed out the last two grands with one pad!

There's something new around every corner.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com