Fw: Larudee's mystery - Was: Ditch the tuning pin bushings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 16 May 2001 22:47:20 -0500

> I can think of two good reasons.  Presumably we want tuning pins to be as
> narrow in diameter as possible because a) the amount of leverage (torque)
> exerted by the string tension increases with each increase in diameter
> (radius) and b) the amount of string moved per unit of rotational movement
> also increases accordingly.

Yo Dale,
Wouldn't the torque from string tension relative to the area of pin in contact
with the block be pretty much the same regardless of pin diameter? With the
moment arm of the string torque being the radius of pin diameter, and the block
contact surface area varying with the circumference (pi*D), doesn't this
proportion scale? Remember that I'm missing the standard math receptors in my
alleged brain, and am prone to orders of magnitude estimation errors in these
things. The string movement per degree of pin rotation is shore-nuff smaller
with a smaller diameter pin. So with the string tension "holding power" being
more or less equivalent, and the "effect per movement" increment being smaller
with smaller diameter pins, I'd have to agree that smaller is better - to a
degree. With bushings, I'd say 1/0 were quite possibly a better choice than
2/0. Without bushings, I would still consider 2/0 a better choice for the
flagpoling thing, unless blessed with an open face block.

My take, whatever.

Ron N