Proceedure for tuning two pianos together.

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Thu, 17 May 2001 06:42:58 -0400

On Wed, 16 May 2001,  Vinny_Samarco@ima.connections.com wrote:

>Hi List,
>           I am an oral tuner, and will be tuning two Yamaha consoles
>           together.  If I make sure the A's are in exact tune with my
>           fork and with each other, and then proceed with my
>           temperament, should that be accurate enough; or are there
>           other methods?
>           Thanks very much.
>           Vinny Samarco

It's a difficult question top answer because (thanks of the miracle
of the internet) we don't know how identical these two consoles are,
how consistent you might be in tuning "identical" pianos, what level
of discrepancy in the two tunings you would notice and complain
about, or for that matter the hearing of the person paying for these
tunings.

I'd treat these two tunings as a learning opportunity. Do what you
were going to do anyway, and see  whether the results are
satisfactory. If not, make your corrections. And then, in the
interest of science, report back to us.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Can you check out this middle C?. It "whangs' - (or twangs?)
     Thanks so much, Ginger"
     ...........Service Request