Larudee's mystery - Was: Ditch the bushings

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Thu, 17 May 2001 08:12:01 -0700

Overs Pianos wrote:

> Paul and other commentators,
>
> >Wouldn't torque from string tension be strictly a matter of the
> >distance of the
> >string from the axis of the pin (radius) and the amount of tension?
> >It's basically
> >the same thing as torque from a tuning wrench (sic!) on a smaller
> >scale.  The same
> >force results in more torque when applied to a wrench with a longer
> >handle than
> >with a shorter one.
>
> Absolutely, but the friction surface is larger also with the larger
> pin, which makes it therefore just as capable of withstand the higher
> resultant torque loading.

Yes, but higher friction is not a desirable thing.  We are accustomed to
measuring
torque by the amount of force it takes to cause the pin to turn
counterclockwise in
the block, i.e. in the direction of string tension.  However, that is
not torque.
It is torque minus friction.  What about the force necessary to turn it
in the
opposite direction?  It is like measuring keyweight by looking only at
the
upweight.  You need to add friction to upweight or subtract it from
downweight to
get keyweight.  Increased friction lowers the upweight and increases the
downweight.

Increased friction caused by increased surface contact does, as you say,
make an
oversize pin just as capable of withstanding the higher torque.
However, it also
increases the amount of force necessary to turn the pin clockwise in the
block.
Imagine a pin two inches wide, for example, strung at tension.  If the
friction holds the pin at 70 in./lb. (the force necessary to move it
counterclockwise), imagine the force it would
take to turn it clockwise.  You would need two hands on the wrench and a
team to
hold the piano!

> >Similarly, the string doesn't have as much leverage on a
> >smaller pin
>
> Do you mean here that it cannot generate the same torque forces due
> to the smaller leverage radius?

Exactly.

> >The part that counts is the radius at the point of string contact.
>
> Sure, but its the relative holding power of the friction between the
> pin and the block, and its torque resistance as compared to the
> actual torque developed by the string tension with a given size pin,
> which will determine the pin holding ability.

Absolutely, but pin holding ability is not the issue.  Any pin can be
made to hold.
The questions are improved tunability and stability.  I don't think you
or anyone else is
claiming that pin diameter is irrelevant.  After all, there are reasons
that
manufacturers use size 1/0 or 2/0 and never larger.  These reasons are
not
mysterious and we have been discussing them on this thread.  What I'm
saying is that
we have more design options when we separate the diameter in the top
portion of the
pin from the bottom (below the coils).  It also means that when we use
oversize pins
to fit enlarged holes, we don't necessarily have to make them oversize
in the part
that doesn't fit in the holes.

Paul Larudee