(no subject)

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Thu, 17 May 2001 14:56:38 -0400

At 01:27 PM 05/17/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>List:
>Can anyone out there help. I need information on a tech who recently visited
>Iceland--name, email, etc. Is this archived? Who was it? Thanks.
>PR-J

Paul-

See if this is whom you were looking for (below my name, that is)

David Skolnik

From: "Carol R. Beigel" <crbrpt@bellatlantic.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Off to Iceland!
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 22:57:38 -0500
Sender: owner-pianotech@ptg.org

Pianotech has again played an unexpected role in making my life more full.
Through the sharing of not only technical information, but the everyday
events in the life of other's in this profession, we have become a stronger
community as we get to know each other a little better.  It's  great to get
together at the Convention to meet one another, but now, for a few brief
weeks, there is another opportunity that I thought I would share, just in
case someone else out there is the adventurous type!

All my life, I have wanted to see the Northern Lights.  I have read about
these curtains of light, and have pursued trying to see them in Canada in
way North wilderness canoe trips.  The closest I ever got to seeing them was
a green mist off the coast of Greenland during a flight to England.  The
aurora borealis is caused by sunspot activity, which runs in 13-year cycles.
This is the last year of the current peak.

Combine this desire with a current airfare war started by Iceland Airlines.
For $380, plus applicable airport taxes, TWO people can fly  ROUNDTRIP from
six US airports to several cities in Europe. You have to book your flight
online (Lucky fares) at www.icelandair.com by January 10, and travel before
March 31.  These fares are also good for Paris, London and Franfurt.
British Airways is also offering ridiculous fares to Europe, too, for
something like $137 roundrip. Unbelievable!  I wouldn't be able to fly to
Reno for that fare!  And besides, I expect to become a grandmother for the
first time in July so I will be missing you all and Reno anyway!

I have decided to take my piano convention time and money early this year,
and go to Iceland to see these Northern Lights and to meet Kristinn.  We
have been talking about the Northern Lights for months!  I want to take him
something special in the way of clever American piano tools or books on
piano technology that he wouldn't otherwise be exposed to.  The Hart spring
tool comes to mind.  He has asked about a book called "The W(h)ippen".  Does
anyone have any suggestions?

I will be leaving Baltimore for Iceland on February 14 and returning Feb.22.
If anyone else on Pianotech wants to party hearty in Reykjavik that week,
let me know!  I plan to head for Lake Myvatn in the North for three days,
but will be in Reykjavik the 15th, 19th, 20th and 21st.  I think hotels cost
about $50 per nite and that can include breakfeast.  The exchange rate is
really good, too, about 85 ISK to the dollar!  Anyway, I am looking forward
to  meeting this young piano tuner on the other side of the Pond, and if
there is anything you want to send, let me know!

Carol Beigel, RPT
Greenbelt, Maryland