Sohmer Grand

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 17 May 2001 21:07:14 EDT

In a message dated 5/17/01 4:09:54 PM Central Daylight Time, clark@evola.com
writes:

> List:  I have been assigned to "recondition" for sale a Sohmer Grand, serial
> #30613,  a 5'10" specimen.  I pulled the action, and noticed damper flanges
> wobbly.  Noticed that they are glued in to the damper tray, and 4 have come
> loose.
>     They don't want me to do much to it except make it work, just sell it
> pretty much like it is.  Should I remove the dampers, and drill holes to
> screw the flanges in?  Any thoughts, because I know that if 4 are loose
> now, when it is sold, I will be the one to go to the customers house to
> glue more in when they come loose.

Give them two options. One, do it "right," which is to remove all the damper,
reglue the loose ones with super glue, or, as you suggested, drill and
screws, and then look for other loose ones. The other option is to glue the
loose ones in the piano, using super glue. Be sure to tell them that you
can't guarantee that other's won't come loose. (Make sure you make note of
the ones you fixed.) Then let the customer make the decision.

>    Also, I noticed that the pin block holes (from underneath) are not
> drilled all the way through the block, except in the mid section, where you
> can feel the dimples where the drill bit came close to going through.  Is
> this a normal thing, or has some other tech tried to partially rebuild
> this, and didn't do it right?  Should they always be drilled through the
> bottom of the block?
>     Clark Sprague

There is nothing wrong with a pin block not drilled all the way through. I
wouldn't do anything with this.

Willem