Scaling problem

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Fri, 18 May 2001 19:23:29 -0700

    I've noticed something on some newer pianos lately, and decided to =
ask the opinion of the sages on the list. I've been encountering more =
and more pianos of late that seem to have a real scaling problem in the =
low tenor section. Baldwin model 248 comes to mind; ( the last note in =
the tenor is C# I believe), but where I really see it is in the new =
Yamaha model GA1, and to a lesser extent in the GH1. What is happening =
is that the designers of these pianos have put too many notes in the =
tenor that belong in the bass. As you play chromatically down the scale, =
these notes start sounding like "pong-pong-pong" and then you hit the =
bass, and they sound normal again.
    I know that this is caused by continuing to drop the tension on the =
strings in order to get the fundamental down to the required frequency, =
but you reach a certain point, and you get a tone that seems hollow and =
is very difficult to fit in with the rest of the tuning.
    I've had some partial success with carefully doping the hammers, and =
voicing the bass down, plus leveling strings, straightening termination =
points etc., but not to any totally satisfactory result.=20
    Got any good advise? I'm all ears. =20

    Or is it just poor design?

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com=20