Scaling problem

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Sat, 19 May 2001 19:03:33 -0700

Kevin:

Pscale has the original scale for a Yamaha GH1B and also a Samick G150.

If you superimpose the graphs you see the difference.

Yamaha has a 26 bass with 169 pounds and .11 % inh at note 26, changing =
to 105 pounds and .315 inh at note 27.

The Samick has a 30 bass with 164 pounds and .163 inh at note 30, =
changing to 142 pounds and .209 inh at note 31.

The program includes a good number of original scales that you can just =
click on and look at the curves.  Very dramatic.

A rescale might convert the four to six notes above the break to bichord =
wound strings.

Could that be an attempt to not make it toooooo good and interfere with =
the sales of their better models?????

Carl Meyer

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kevin E. Ramsey=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 7:23 PM
  Subject: Scaling problem

      I've noticed something on some newer pianos lately, and decided to =
ask the opinion of the sages on the list. I've been encountering more =
and more pianos of late that seem to have a real scaling problem in the =
low tenor section. Baldwin model 248 comes to mind; ( the last note in =
the tenor is C# I believe), but where I really see it is in the new =
Yamaha model GA1, and to a lesser extent in the GH1. What is happening =
is that the designers of these pianos have put too many notes in the =
tenor that belong in the bass. As you play chromatically down the scale, =
these notes start sounding like "pong-pong-pong" and then you hit the =
bass, and they sound normal again.
      I know that this is caused by continuing to drop the tension on =
the strings in order to get the fundamental down to the required =
frequency, but you reach a certain point, and you get a tone that seems =
hollow and is very difficult to fit in with the rest of the tuning.
      I've had some partial success with carefully doping the hammers, =
and voicing the bass down, plus leveling strings, straightening =
termination points etc., but not to any totally satisfactory result.=20
      Got any good advise? I'm all ears. =20

      Or is it just poor design?

  Kevin E. Ramsey
  ramsey@extremezone.com=20